Friday 1 May 2020

Advice to my son

Son, its taken me a long time -
A whole relationship to learn this,
So I'm sharing this with you
I want you to be the best possible version of yourself
(A place where I failed, a person I couldn't be in my teens)
Here goes - 
No son, not everything is an opinion
There is a ground reality that exists beyond the mind
The truth will empower you to become a better citizen
A warrior for this world, a fighter against injustice
Don't be a dimwit, read what you're expected to
But read all sides, and think critically
Find your own answers
Keep that fire burning, don't quit the revolution
Bring peace and justice and equality to a power-hungry world
Teach people compassion and consideration
Teach people to look beyond themselves and their self-interests
Gently show them the world - poverty, hunger, hate, intolerance
Expose them, son, to all their privileges
And then, slowly, nudge them out of that cave
Help them be better for the world, for the collective.
More power to you son,
I do hope you'll be better than I have been
Go. Change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment