Saturday 2 May 2020

Email to Dali's granddaughter

I sent Dali, my film, to Giovanni and Claire Sarti. Claire happens to be Gala Dali's grand-daughter with her estranged first spouse, the poet Paul Eluard. Wasn't expecting a response, but three weeks later I receive an email from Giovanni saying that the film is "stylish and very well done." I asked him if I could use his testimonial and if he can recommend the film to the Dali Foundation.

I don't receive a reply back to my second mail, so I send a follow-up. Giovanni's response is rude - saying that he and his wife have nothing to do with Dali or Dali Foundation anymore, almost as if completely cutting off ties, not wanting to have anything to do with you-know-who.

I wonder if I've scratched the surface of what could be the greatest, perhaps the most exciting, family dispute in art history. I want to unearth this...but how? Uff, I want some spice in life. Fuck it, will just leave it to my imagination to concoct the rest of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment